Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Steak Recipes and other Steak topics.
Beef tongue is a variety meat, as well as an exceptional gourmet meat. When prepared correctly, it is sure to become a favorite with you.
Sweet and Sour Tongue
1 beef tongue
3 bay leaves
3 crushed coves of garlic
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup of beef stock (homemade or canned)
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups tomato puree
1 strip of lemon zest
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
½ cup of raisins
1. Put the tongue in a large, heavy saucepan and cover it with cold water. Add the leaves and garlic to the water and then bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat and allow the tongue to simmer until it is tender (roughly three hours).
3. Remove the tongue and set aside.
4. Combine the sugar and vinegar in a heavy saucepan and bring it to a boil. Continue cooking until it is bubbling and thick.
5. Stir in the tomato puree, wine, lemon zest, cinnamon, stock, ginger, salt and pepper. Simmer 10-12 minutes.
6. Stir in the raisins and allow the sauce to simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
7. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
8. With a knife, loosen the skin on the back of the tongue and peel it toward the tip. Trim any fat. Cut the tongue into ½ inch slices.
9. Pour half of the sauce into an oven-proof shallow dish. Arrange the tongue in the sauce, overlapping the pieces if necessary. Pour the remaining sauce over the tongue.
10. Cover with aluminum foil and bake about one hour.
Source: The New Basics Cookbook