Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Steak Recipes and other Steak topics.
Of all the gourmet meats, sweetbreads may be the one meat that no one has a recipe for. While sweetbreads are much loved in Europe, they are just starting to get noticed in the United States. If you would like to try your hand at sweetbreads, here is a recipe that is sure to please.
Sweetbreads and Toast
1 pound of sweetbreads
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of dry white wine
3/4 cup of beef stock (homemade of canned)
1 cup of artichoke hearts (fresh, frozen or thawed)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon of snipped fresh chives
4 slices of brioche, toasted
4 whole chives (for garnish)
Salt and pepper (optional)
1. Soak the sweetbreads in a bowl of cold water for one hour.
2. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add sweetbreads and simmer for five minutes.
3. Remove sweetbreads from boiling water and place in a bowl of ice water. Leave them in the cold water for three minutes.
4. Use a sharp knife to cut away the membranes. Pat dry and slice into ½ inch pieces.
5. Heat oil and butter in a large skillet. Add sweetbreads and saute until lightly browned.
6. Remove the sweetbreads from the skillet and keep warm.
7. Sprinkle flour into the skillet. Add stock, artichoke hearts and wine. Cook and stir for five minutes or until the sauce is thick.
8. Add salt, pepper, chives and cream. Cook an additional two minutes.
9. Place a slice of toasted brioche on each plate. Add your sweetbreads to the toast and top with the artichokes and sauce.
10. Garnish with chives.