Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Steak Recipes and other Steak topics.
Many people simply love liver – be it beef, lamb or chicken. The upside of loving liver is that it is good for your health. For instance, calf liver is an excellent source of selenium, riboflavin, copper, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc, niacin, protein, and phosphorus. With so many beneficial nutrients, no wonder if is a favorite meat!
Sauteed Calf's Liver with Caramelized Onions
10 ounces of thick bacon cut into one inch pieces
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 pounds of calf's liver, cut into ½ slices
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons of chicken stock (homemade or canned)
Salt and Pepper (optional)
1. Saute bacon until it is crispy. Remove and set aside
2. Add onions to the skillet and cook until the onions are golden. Remove them and set aside.
3. Raise the heat under to the skillet to medium-high. When the bacon grease is hot, reduce the heat and begin browning the liver. This takes about three minutes per side.
4. Add the butter to the skillet if the liver starts sticking. Sprinkle the liver with salt and pepper while browning.
5. When the liver is done, remove it and set it aside. Keep it warm.
6. Add stock and vinegar to the skillet. Bring to a bowl, scraping the bottom of the skillet with a spoon to pick up any meat bits.
7. Add onions and toss them inside the skillet for one minute.
8. Take the skillet off of the stove and allow the onions to rest for one minute.
9. Place the liver on a platter and top with the onions.
10. Sprinkle with bacon.
Source: The New Basics Cookbook
|Sheri Ann Richerson|